Eggless fruit cake recipe using whole wheat and jaggery with step by step preparations & photos. This is the special cake make for the Christmas eve. In our native place in Tamilnadu, we call it as ‘plum cake‘.We will distribute this fruit cake to neighbors and friends to share the Christmas joy and happiness.
The traditional fruit cake is done with lots of nuts and dry fruits soaked in alcohol for several weeks but this is an alcohol-free easy eggless fruit cake. I have the another version of alcohol-free easy fruit cake with eggs, whole wheat, and jaggery. There is no waiting time to make that easy fruit cake as there are no fruits soaking process. Though this eggless fruit cake needs soaking process to make the cake, it can be done on the same day itself.
Yummy, soft and spongy eggless fruit cake prepared using whole wheat and jaggery for a healthier version. Apple juice and orange juice used to soak the dry fruits and nuts, instead of using alcohol, for 5 hours. I did caramelized jaggery syrup for making this fruit cake. My hubby and my kids loved to eat the fruitcake very much.
Let’s have a look at how to make the easy eggless fruit cake using whole wheat and jaggery at home. Hope you like this recipe and please share your comments how it works out for you.
Wishing you all happy and successful New Year ahead!!!. 🙂
Eggless Fruit Cake Recipe | Wheat Jaggery Fruit Cake
Eggless Fruit Cake Ingredients
Dates / Pericham Pazham – 1 Cup (Roughly Chopped)
Raisins / Thiratchai – 1 Cup
Cashews / Munthiri Paruppu – 1/2 Cup (Chopped)
Almonds / Badam – 1/2 Cup (Chopped)
Dry Ginger Powder / Chukku Podi – 1 tsp
Cloves Powder / Kirambu Podi – 1/2 tsp
Cardamom Powder / Elakkai Podi – 1 tsp
Nutmeg Powder / Jaathikkai Podi – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon Powder / Pattai Podi – 1/2 tsp
Apple Juice – 1 Cup
Orange Juice – 1 Cup
Whole Wheat Flour / Godhumai Maavu – 1 3/4 Cup
Baking Soda / Samayal Soda – 1 tsp
Baking Powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Sea Salt – 1/4 tsp
Butter / Vennai – 1/2 Cup Room Temperature
Warm Milk – 1/3 Cup
Coconut Oil / Thengai Ennai – 1/3 Cup
For Caramel Jaggery Syrup
Powdered Jaggery / Vellam – 1 1/4 Cup ( adjust to your taste)
Water – 1/2 Cup
How to prepare jaggery whole wheat eggless fruit cake with step by step pictures.
For soaking process
1. Firstly, take all the dry fruits and nuts in a big bowl.
2. Put all the spices (cardamom, dry ginger powder, cloves, nutmeg powder, cinnamon) into the fruits mixture.
3. Pour 1 cup of orange juice into the fruits mixture.
4. Pour 1 cup of apple juice into the mixture.
5. Combine well together and let them soak for 5 hours.
6. Secondly, take 2 – 9 inch cake pan and dust with butter and place parchment papers in the pan and set aside.
7. Sieve all the dry ingredients of whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt in a big bowl and set aside.
How to make caramelized jaggery
7. For caramel jaggery syrup, take 1 1/4 cup of powdered jaggery in a wide thick bottom pan.You can reduce the sweet level. Heat it on low flame.
8. Do not stir it. Just leave as it is. Now it is started melting.
9. It is completely melted now. I just waited for the color of jaggery until reached dark brown color on very low flame. Do not increase the flame it may be burnt at the bottom. It will affect the cake taste and flavor. Switch off the stove after reaching the perfect color.
10. Remove the pan from the stove. Add 1/2 cup of water into the pan. Stay away from the pan while you pouring water as it may splutter a lot.
11. Stir it well without any lumps and filter the caramel jaggery syrup to remove impurities from the jaggery using a metal strainer.
12. the caramelized jaggery syrup is ready now.
Eggless fruit cake batter preparation process
13. Pre-heat the oven at 180°C/350°F for 10 minutes or as per your oven required preheating temperature.
Now, take 1/2 cup of butter (room temperature) in a bowl.
14. Using a hand/stand mixture beat the butter until it is well creamed like below.
15. Now, add half of the dry ingredients that we have already prepared into the creamed butter.Mix it thoroughly.
16. Then add half of the caramelized jaggery into the mixture. Mix it well.
17. Repeat the process alternately mixing dry ingredients and caramelized jaggery into the mixture and mix it gently.
18. Add coconut oil
19. Add warm milk into the mixture. Mix well together.
20. Now, add soaked dry fruits and nuts into the batter.
21. Fold it gently until well combined.
22. Finally, pour the fruit cake batter into the 2 9 inch cake pan evenly. Bake it for about 40 to 45 minutes or until the skewer inserted from the center of the cake comes out clean.For me, it took 40 minutes to bake. Each oven may vary so keep checking on it.
23. Let it sit in the cake pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to the cooling rack and allow it to cool down completely.
24. The yummy and delicious whole wheat jaggery eggless fruit cake is ready to serve now. Enjoy with your loved ones.
How to prepare caramelized jaggery eggless fruit cake with step by step images – printable form