Vendakkai puli kuzhambu recipe without coconut with step by step preparations & photos. This is an easy south Indian style kulambu prepared with (okra) ladies finger simmered in tamarind juice without coconut. Sesame oil is one of the key ingredients to make this okra curry more yummy & tastier. The rich flavor & tangy vendakkai puli kuzhambu goes very well along with cooked rice, any kootu or poriyal variety and with papad or appalam.
Check out more veg curry recipes.
Let’s have a look at how to prepare tasty vendakkai puli kuzhambu without coconut. Hope you like this recipe & please share your thoughts in the comment section below.
Vendakkai Puli Kuzhambu Recipe | Ladies Finger Tamarind Gravy
Recipe Type – Veg Curry – Side dish
Cuisine – Indian / South Indian / Tamil Nadu
(1 Cup = 240 ml , 1 tbsp = 15 ml)
Ladies Finger / Okra / Vendaikkai – 10 nos (roughly chopped)
Small Onions / Chinna Vengayam – 3/4 Cup (thinly sliced)
Tomato / Thakkali – 1 small size (chopped)
Tamarind / Puli – lemon size
Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi – 1/4 tsp
Chili Powder / Vaththal Podi – 3/4 tsp or to taste
Coriander Powder / Malli Podi – 1 1/4 tsp
Sea Salt / Non-Iodized Salt / Kal Uppu – to taste
Sesame Oil / Nallennai – 4 tbsp + 2 tsp
Mustard / Kadugu – 1 tsp
Urad Dal / Ulunthu – 1 tsp
Cumin / Jeera / Seeragam – 1 tsp
Fenugreek Seed / Vendhayam – 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida / Perungayam – 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves / Karivepilai – 2 strings
1. Fenugreek seeds should be added in all curries what we prepare with tamarind.
How to make vendakkai puli kuzhambu recipe with step by step images
1. Soak tamarind in water for 15 minutes.
2. Extract the tamarind juice using a strainer to remove impurities and set aside. Totally we need 11/2 cups of tamarind water.
3. Wash & roughly chop vendaikkai / okra, place them on a plate and keep it under the sunlight for sometimes. It will prevent the gooey texture from the vendakkai while we cook.
4. Heat 4 tbsp of sesame/gingelly oil in a kadai or pan. Add mustard seeds when it pops out, add urad dal, cumin, fenugreek & asafoetida.saute for 30 seconds
5. Add curry leaves let it splutter
6. Now, add thinly sliced small onions.
7. Add a little salt to speed up the onions sauteing process.
8. Saute until it turns good golden color.
9. then, add chopped tomato pieces
10. Cook the tomatoes until they are mushy
11. Add turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder into that.
12. Saute until the masala powders raw smell goes off.
13. Now, add roughly chopped vendakkai pieces
14. Mix well & Fry them for 8 to 10 minutes over medium flame or until it runs golden brown color.
15. Pour 11/2 cups of extracted tamarind water.
16. Add required salt. (don’t forget, we added already salt for onion speedup sauteing process so add accordingly)
16. Mix well.
17. Let it boil for 5 minutes.
18.Cover it with a lid & then simmer it for 12 to 15 minutes or until it reaches your required consistency. Add 2 tsp of sesame oil over the gravy and switch off the stove. Close it until serve.
19. Yummy & tangy vendakkai puli kuzhambu is ready to be served. Serve along with steamed rice, any kootu or poriyal variety and papad or appalam.
Step by step preparations & pictures recipe for vendakkai puli kuzhambu – print here