South Indian Pongal festival special traditional ven pongal recipe using coconut with step by step preparations & photos. Usually, we make sweet pongal or spicy pongal but this is the special ven pongal that we make in our hometown for the pongal festival celebrated every year on January especially for farmers.
The main ingredients of this ven pongal are “samba pacharisi” and coconut. You can use normal raw rice but “samba pacharisi” will give different taste and extra flavor. The creamy & buttery texture ven pongal can be served along with mixed vegetable sambar and also with any of your desired poriyal dish.
My mom used to do this ven pongal with fresh grated coconut in a bronze vessel and sambar in a new mud pot on ‘Thai Pongal (தை பொங்கல்) ‘. I have used a pressure cooker to make this ven pongal. You can follow open pot method to make this ven pongal.
Let’s have a look at how to make ven pongal recipe using coconut with easy step by step methods & images. Hope you like this traditional recipe and please share your comments below.
Ven Pongal Recipe using Coconut | Pongal Festival Recipe
Ven Pongal Ingredients
Samba Pacharisi / Raw Rice – 1 Cup
Fresh Grated Coconut – 3/4 Cup
Salt – to taste
How to prepare pongal special ven pongal recipe using coconut – step by step pictures
1. Wash & soak samba pacharisi in water for 30 minutes and drain the water completely. You can use normal raw rice too.
2. Take a pressure cooker & pour 3 cups of water and bring it to boil. Add required salt (about 1 tsp).
3. Add soaked and drained rice into the boiling water.
4. Wait for 3 to 4 whistle and switch off the stove. Let the steam subsides itself. Open the lid.
5. Stir it gently and heat it again.
6. Add 2 cups of hot water.
7. When it starts boiling , add grated coconut and stir it well for 5 minutes on medium to low flame. Make sure it should not get burnt at the bottom of the cooker. switch off the stove.
How to prepare ven pongal recipe using coconut with step by step instructions – print here