Vegetable Sambar Recipe using homemade sambar powder with step by step preparation & pictures. Vegetable Sambar is a famous south Indian kuzhambu in almost all houses for at least 1 day in a week.We can see veg sambar is a default menu for all marriages and some other functions too.
It is very easy to prepare and even more healthy because of using mixed vegetables in one curry.It serves well with the combination of rice,potato fry or any other fries and papad/appalam. You can even have this vegetable sambar for Idli,dosa,wheat dosa.
I prepare this vegetable sambar in a pressure cooker to make it as a quick version which is very helpful for working women,bachelors/spinsters in a hurry burry morning cooking.You can cut all the vegetables in the previous night itself and use it in the morning.
I used carrot,avarakkai(broad beans),beans,potato for making vegetable sambar.You can also use cauliflower,drumstick (murungaikai) or your desired vegetables to prepare veg sambar.
Here we go to have a look at how to prepare vegetable sambar in a pressure cooker.Hope you like this recipe and give a try and ssharing your comments below.
Vegetable Sambar Recipe using Pressure Cooker | Veg Sambar Recipe – 51
Recipe Type : Vegetarian
Cuisine : South Indian / Tamil Nadu
Vegetable Sambar Ingredients
Toor Dal / Thuvaram Paruppu – 1/4 Cup
Small Onions / Chinna Vengayam – 5
Garlic / Poondu – 5
Cumin Seeds / Jeera / Seeragam – 1 tsp
Tomato / Thakkali – 1 small
Turmeric / Manjal – 1/4 tsp
Homemade SambarPowder – 1 tbsp
Green Chili / Pachchai Milagai – 3
Tamarind / Puli – Small Gooseberry Size
Homemade Asafoetida / Hing / Perungayam – 1/8 tsp
Coconut Oil – 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves / Cilantro / Koththamalli Ilai – for garnishing
Sea Salt / Crystal Salt / Kal Uppu – as needed
Potato / Urulaik Kizhangu – 1 small size (Cut into Cubes)
Other Mixed Vegetables – 1 Cup (beans,avarakkai,carrot) ( can use cauliflower,drumsticks)
Small Onions / Chinna Vengayam – 5
Brinjal / Katharikkai – 1
Coconut Oil / Thengai Ennai – 2 tbsp
Mustard / Kadugu – 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds / Jeera – 1/4 tsp
Urad Dal / Ulunthu – 1 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds / Vendhayam – 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida / Hing / Perungayam – 1/4 tsp
Red Chili / Vaththai – 2
Small Onions – 3 (chopped finely)
How to make vegetable sambar recipe in pressure cooker with step by step photos
1. Take small gooseberry size tamarind in a bowl and soak it in water for 10 to 15 minutes. Using a strainer, filter the tamarind water to remove impurities and sand from it and extract all juices from tamarind.
2. Wash and soak toor dal in water for 15 minutes. Drain the water completely and take soaked toor dal in a pressure cooker.
3. Add small onions, chopped tomatoes, green chili, garlic, turmeric, asafoetida, cumin seeds, brinjal,1 tsp of coconut oil along with 3/4 cup of water. Stir and close it with the lid.
4. Wait for 2 to 3 whistle in a medium flame. Switch off the stove. Let the steam escape by itself. Once it released completely open the lid.
5. Using back of the ladle or churn or ‘maththu’ , mash the dal gently.
6. Place the cooker again to the stove, add 2 cups of water and bring it to a boil.When it is boiling add sambar powder.
7. Then add washed & chopped vegetables (carrot,beans,avarakkai,potato,5 small onions) into that.
8. Add required amount of salt and stir it well.Close the cooker with the lid again and allow it to whistle for 1 time.Switch off the stove and wait until all the steam escape by itself.
9. Open the lid and pour tamarind water and boil for 5 minutes.
10. Add grated coconut and boil for 1 more minute.
11. In a pan,heat 2 tbsp of coconut oil.Add mustard seeds,when it splutter, add 1/4 tsp of cumin,followed by urad dal,fenugreek,red chili,asafoetida,curry leaves and then add finely chopped small onions and saute it until good golden color.Pour over the sambar and give a good stir.
12. Garnish with lots of coriander leaves and close it until serve.
12.Healthy south Indian style vegetable sambar is ready to serve. Serve with rice,potato fry or any fried items and papad/appalam.
How to prepare vegetable sambar in a pressure cooker