Tomato Jam Recipe or Thakkali Jam using Jaggery with step by step photos. This is the first time I tried this yummy and delicious recipe for my kids, came out very well. They love to have this jam with toasted bread slices for their breakfast and even at any time.
I always wanted to post healthy recipes on my website.So I decided to use jaggery, palm jaggery or honey instead of using sugar in my sweet recipes. In this tomato jam recipe, I used jaggery.
The tomato jam recipe which is a kid-friendly recipe using Jaggery for making a healthy dish for your beloved ones and not any preservatives added for fresh and natural combo. This recipe needs only the handful of ingredients those are always available in our kitchen.Always store any types of jam in the glass bottles. It stays good for even 2 weeks if properly stored.
Homemade things are always better than store-bought ones. So better to make things yourself at home unless otherwise any urgent situation.
Now, let’s learn how to prepare homemade tomato jam recipe or thakkali jam recipe using jaggery with natural flavors. Hope you like this recipe and try in your home & give your valuable comments below.
Homemade Tomato Jam Recipe | Thakkali Jam Recipe
Fresh & Ripe Tomatoes – 6 big sized or 2 Cups (chopped)
Jaggery – 1 1/4 cups ( powdered)
Water – 2 tbsp
Sea Salt / Crystal Salt – a pinch
Cloves / Kirambu – 2
Cardamom Powder/Elachi Powder/Elakkai Podi – 1/4 tsp
Dry Ginger Powder / Chukku or Sukku Podi – 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon Powder / Pattai podi – 1/4 tsp
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Cashews / Munthiri Paruppu – 1 or 2 tbsp
Raisins / dry grapes – 1 tbsp
How to make tomato jam using jaggery with natural flavors
1. Take fresh and ripe tomatoes and wash well in water.
2. Chop the washed tomatoes into small pieces.
3. Take 11/4 cups of powdered jaggery in a pan along with 2 tbsp of water and let it be melted over a low flame.
4.Take a heavy wide bottom pan, place a sieve over it and filter the jaggery syrup for removing impurities or any dirt in it.
5. Add the chopped tomato pieces into the jaggery syrup. In a medium flame, stirring often for not getting stuck at the bottom of the pan.
It will leave lots of water from the tomatoes.
6. After 25 minutes, this is what the consistency of jam you will get. At this point add all the spices mentioned under “spices” ingredients along with a pinch of salt and stir well. Keep the flame in low. Keep stirring.
7. After 35 minutes the water from the tomatoes dried completely and reaches the right consistency of jam. Switch off the flame and let it cool.
8. Add the jam into the mixer jar and grind it to a smooth paste. You can skip this step if you not required.You can keep the jam as it is.
9. In a pan, heat some ghee then add cashews, when it turns to slightly golden color, add raisins, fry until it is puffed up.
10. Add ghee cashews and raisins into the tomato jam and mix well.
11. See how you got the beautiful color of the tomato jam with healthy and natural flavors.
12. Yummy and delicious Tomato Jam Recipe using jaggery are ready now. Store it in a glass bottle. It stays good for 2 to 3 days at room temperature.You can keep this jam in the refrigerator for long term storage. Enjoy!.
1. You can grind the chopped tomatoes before adding to the jaggery syrup instead of doing at the end.
2. Store tomato jam or any types of jam in glass bottles. Keep refrigerated if you want for long term storage
3. Use a dry spoon to take jam from the bottle.
Thakkali Jam Recipe | Tomato Jam Recipe with Jaggery