(Thakkali) Tomato biryani recipe using a pressure cooker with step by step preparations & photos. The south Indian style yummy one pot tomato biryani recipe is an easy one we can prepare in 30 minutes.It’s one of the perfect lunch box recipes to your kids & hubby & also for bachelors/spinsters.
I like to make biryani’s using seeraga samba rice instead of basmati rice. For preparing this tomato biryani, I have used seeraga samba rice. You can use basmati rice to make this thakkali biryani. Serve this biryani with onion raita, boiled egg and with any veg or non-veg gravy as a side dish.
Let’s have a look at how to make tomato biryani recipe in an easy way using the pressure cooker. Hope you like this thakkali biryani recipe & please share your comments below.
Check out more biryani recipes too
Tomato Biryani Recipe | Pressure Cooker Thakkali Biryani Recipe
Recipe Type : Vegetarian / Lunch Box Recipes
Cuisine : Indian / South Indian / Tamil Nadu
Tomato Biryani Ingredients ( 1 Cup = 240 ml, 1 tbsp = 15 ml)
Seeraga Samba Rice or Basmati Rice – 1 Cup
Sesame Oil / Gingelly Oil / Nallennai – 1 tbsp
Ghee / Clarified Butter / Nei – 1 tbsp
Tomatoes / Thakkali – 3 Big Size (Chopped)
Small or Big Onions – 3/4 Cup (Thinly Sliced)
Ginger Garlic Paste / Inji Poondu Paste – 1 tbsp
Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi – 1/4 tsp
Red Chili Powder / Vaththal Podi – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder / Malli Podi – 3/4 tsp
Cumin Powder / Seeraga Podi – 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves – 2 spring
Coriander & Mint Leaves – a handful
Sea Salt / Non-Iodized Crystal Salt / Kal Uppu – as needed
Bay Leaf / Birnji Leaf or Biryani Ilai – 1
Cinnamon / Pattai – 1 long piece
Cloves / Kirambu – 3
Star Anise / Natchathira Sombu – 1
Mace / Javithri or Jathipathri – 1
Cumin / Jeera / Seeragam – 1/2 tsp
Fennel Seeds / Saunf / Sombu or Perunjeeragam – 1 tsp
Cardamom / Elachi / Elakkai – 2
How to prepare tomato biryani recipe using pressure cooker – step by step pictures
1. Wash & soak seeraga samba arisi or basmati rice in water for 20 to 30 minutes. While rice soaking, cut the vegetables and start to make tomato biryani process.
2. Firstly, Heat a pressure cooker with 1 tbsp of sesame oil & 1 tbsp of ghee. Add a bay leaf, followed by all the spices mentioned in the spices ingredients table mentioned above (cinnamon, cloves, star anise, mace, cumin, fennel seeds & cardamom’s). Saute for few seconds.
3. Add curry leaves and let it splutter.
4. Add thinly sliced 3/4 cup of small or big onion along with little salt. Salt will speed up the onion cooking process. In this step, you can add 2 green chilis too.
5. Saute until it turns to light golden color.
6. Then add 1 tbsp of ginger garlic paste.
7. Saute until the raw smell goes off.
8. Now, add 3 chopped tomatoes, mix well & cook it for 2 minutes.
9. Mix 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp of red chili powder (adjust to your taste), 3/4 tsp of coriander powder & 1/4 tsp of cumin powder into that.
10. Saute until all the spices & tomatoes combined together.
11. Add soaked & drained rice, mix well.
12. Add 2 cups of water and mix well (If you use basmati rice, pour 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups of water). Bring it to boil.
13. Add required salt. Don’t forget we added salt already to cook onion in step 4, so add salt as needed.
14. After boiling, add coriander & mint leaves.
15. Before close the lid adds a tsp of ghee and mix gently.
16. Close the cooker with the lid. For Seeraga samba rice, allow the whistle for 1 time and simmer it for 5 minutes. For basmati rice, allow the whistle for 1 sound then switch it off. Let the steam subsides itself then open the lid and fluff it gently with a fork.
Step by step preparation of tomato biryani recipe using pressure cooker – print here