Chettinad Chicken Curry / Gravy is one of the south Indian most popular authentic chicken curries from chettinad cuisine, TamilNadu. I would love to eat chettinad recipes ever, especially this chettinad chicken curry.
This chettinad chicken curry recipe that I shared here is roughly adapted from some of the cookbooks and magazines. There are no ready-made spicy powders used. It has cooked with freshly roasted and ground spices which give wonderful aroma to the dish and makes our chettinad chicken curry delicious.This chettinad chicken curry goes well with pepper rasam/milagu rasam as a side dish for rice.
Let’s learn how to make this delicious chettinad chicken curry / Chettinad Chicken gravy recipe. Do try this in your home and give me your comments.
Chettinad Chicken Curry Recipe | Spicy Chettinad Chicken Gravy Recipe
1 tbsp = 15 ml
Chicken – 1/2 kg
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice – half a lemon
Sesame Oil / Gingelly Oil / Nallennnai – 1 to 2 tbsp
Bay Leaf / Biryani Leaf – 1
Small Onions / Shallots – 13 to 15 sliced thinly
Tomato – 1 chopped roughly
Ginger paste – 1 tbsp (grated or mashed)
Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp (grated or mashed)
Sea Salt / Kal uppu – to taste
Curry leaves – 3 springs
Coriander leaves / Cilantro – for garnishing
Spices For Chettinad Masala
Coconut – 1/4 cup grated
Coriander Seeds – 2 to 3 tsp
Dry Red Chilli – 5
Black Pepper / Milagu – 1 to 1 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds / Seeragam – 1 tsp
Fennel Seeds / Saunf / Sombu – 1 tsp
Elachi / Cardamom / Elakkai – 2
Black Stone Flower / Kal Paasi – 2
Star Anise / Natchathira Sombu – 1
Cloves / Kirambu – 2
Jaathi Pathri / Mace- 1
Cinnamon / Pattai – 2 piece
Chettinad Chicken Curry with Step by Step Pictures
1. Take chicken in a bowl and wash well in water with the little amount of turmeric to remove the chicken smell from it. Then, marinate chicken with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and half a lemon juice for 30 minutes.
2. For making chettinad chicken masala, dry roast coriander seeds, pepper, star anise, cardamom, cinnamon, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, black stone flower, cloves, and mace, in a low flame. Once it gets nicely roasted, add red chili and roast it for few seconds until it turns crispy. Make sure it should not get burnt.
3. Add grated coconut and mix well for few seconds.
4. After roasted everything, add this to the blender or mixie jar and grind it to a fine powder.
5. Now, heat a kadai with 1 or 2 tbsp of sesame/gingelly oil. Add a bay leaf , sliced small onions, curry leaves with a little salt to speed up the onion cooking time and saute till it turns light golden color.
6. Add ginger garlic paste and saute it until the raw smell goes off.
7. Add chopped tomato and cook for 2 minutes. Then, add marinated chicken and mix well.
8. Let it cook for 15 minutes. Do not need to add water. The chicken will cook on its own water. Then, add powdered spices.Mix well.
9. If you want, add some water now and boil it for 2 to 3 minutes. Add required salt and cover the kadai with a lid. Keep the flame on low for another 20 minutes.
10. After 20 minutes, see how the chicken got cooked beautifully.Garnish with coriander leaves.
11. Serve Chettinad chicken curry hot with Rice, chappati, Idli/Dosa, Parotta and even Naan’s .
How to make Chettinad Chicken Curry / Gravy Recipe – in a printable form