Sakkarai Pongal / Chakkara Pongal / Sweet Pongal recipe with detailed instructions & stepwise photos. This is the first recipe of my JaggeryPepper site. I am so happy to start this website on my hubby’s birthday and so happy to have an own website where I can save and share all my successful recipes to u and all.
I love to eat sweets ever. Sakkarai Pongal is one of my favorite sweet pongal. So I have shared this delicious recipe as my first post.
Sakkarai pongal / Sweet pongal is one of the south Indian special dishes which is making on pongal festival celebrates on January month every year, especially for farmers. Earlier days in villages, sakkarai pongal will make in a new clay or brass pot, decorating with different colors of paint, in the home courtyard. In my childhood, my mom used to do like that only.Nowadays, that kind of making sakkarai pongal is disappearing little by little even in villages.
“Samba Pacharisi” is a key ingredient used for making this sakkarai pongal and added Jaggery for sweetness. Both of the items give extra flavor and taste to the sakkarai pongal.
I have done this sakkarai pongal using the pressure cooker. U can follow our traditional open pot method for making this.Usually, we add moong dal in sakkarai pongal. Even though, I haven’t added moong dal, the taste of the sakkarai pongal is still superb. I will share the recipe with moong dal very soon.
Check out More JaggeryRecipes on my website.
Let’s learn how to make this delicious sakkarai pongal in the pressure cooker. Do try this in your home and give me know your comments.
Sakkarai Pongal (Sarkarai Pongal) / Chakkara Pongal / Sweet Pongal Recipe
My 1 Cup is equal to 240 ml
1 Tblspn = 15 ml
Samba Pacharisi – 3/4 cup
Jaggery / Vellam- 1 1/4 cup powdered
Water – 3 cups + 1/4 cup
Ginger – 1 inch (grated or chopped)
Ghee – 5 tbsp
Cardamom – 2
Cashews – 12
Dry grapes / Raisins – 12
Sakkarai Pongal Recipe / Chakkara Pongal / Sweet Pongal Recipe – Step by Step pictures
1.Wash Samba Pacharisi in water to remove any dirt in it. Soak it for 30 minutes and drain all the water.
Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a pressure cooker, add soaked rice and saute it for a minute.
2.Add 3 cups of water and mix well. Close the pressure cooker with a lid. Wait for 8 to 10 whistles in a high flame then simmer it for 5 minutes. Switch off the stove. Let the steam escape by itself.
3. Add powdered jaggery to the kadai along with 1/4 cup of water and allow it to melt. This step has done just to remove impurities or dirt in it.
4. After the jaggery melted, filter it using a sieve and add filtered jaggery syrup, grated ginger and cardamom to the cooked and mashed rice in pressure cooker. Mix well.Let it boil for few minutes.
5. Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a kadai. Add Cashews, saute until it turns light golden color.
6. Saute dry grapes for few seconds until it puffed up.Pour this into the cooked rice and add remaining 3 tbsp of ghee and mix well.
7. Wow, the delicious Sakkarai Pongal / Chakkara Pongal is ready now. Serve hot or warm. Have it & Enjoy!!!.
1. Using “Samba pacharisi” and Jaggery gives more taste and good flavor to the sakkarai pongal than normal rice.
2. For removing dirt and impurities from the jaggery syrup, we are doing melting and filtering process. Do not need to get any string consistency.
3. Ginger, we are adding for easy digestion.
4. Do not open the pressure cooker immediately before escaping all the steam by itself.
How to make Sakkarai Pongal / Chakkara Pongal / Sweet Pongal recipe in pressure cooker – in a printable form