Peas pulao recipe or matar pulav recipe with step by step photos. This is a simple & easy pulao made with peas (known as ‘pattani’ in Tamil) & very few spices. The peas rice pilaf is a one pot meal prepared using a pressure cooker. I have used seeraga samba rice to make the peas pulao. You can use basmati rice instead of seeraga samba. It would be one of the perfect lunch box recipes to your hubby & kids. It can be served with raita or any veg or non-veg gravy.
Let’s have a look at how to prepare the peas pulao recipe. Hope you like this recipe & share your comments below.
Peas Pulao Recipe | Matar Pulav Recipe
Author : Nilashini
Recipe Type : Veg Recipe
Cuisine : Indian
Ingredients ( 1 Cup = 240 ml, 1 tbsp = 15 ml )
Seeraga Samba Rice or Basmati Rice – 3/4 Cup
Peas / Pattani – 1/2 to 3/4 Cup
Onion / Vengayam – 1 Chopped
Green Chili / Pachchai Milagai – 3
Ginger Garlic Paste / Inji Poondu Paste – 2 tsp
Mint Leaves / Puthina Ilai – 2 tbsp
Lemon Juice / Elumichai Chaaru – 1 tsp
Sea Salt / Kal Uppu – to taste
Sesame Oil / Gingelly Oil / Nallennai – 1 tsp
Ghee / Clarified Butter / Nei – 2 tsp + 1/2 tsp
Bay Leaf / Biryani Ilai – 1
Star Anise / Natchathira Sombu – 1
Mace / Jathipathri – 1
Cloves / Kirambu – 3
Cardamom / Elakkai – 2
Cinnamon / Pattai – 1
Fennel Seeds / Sombu or Perunjeeragam – 1 tsp
Cumin / Jeera / Seeragam – 1/2 tsp
How to make peas pulao recipe with step by step photos
1. Wash & soak basmati rice or seeraga samba rice in water for 30 minutes.
2. Heat oil & ghee in a pressure cooker. Then add all the spices given under the ‘seasoning table’. Saute for sometimes.
3. Then add green chili & chopped onion and saute until the onions are translucent.
4. Add ginger garlic paste and saute it until the raw smell goes off.
5. Add 1/2 or 3/4 cup fresh peas. If you are using the dried peas, soak peas in water in the previous night itself and then use it in the morning when you prepare peas pulao.
6. Add required salt & mix well.
7. Cook it for 5 minutes.
8. Add soaked and drained rice to that & mix well.
9. Pour 11/2 cups of water. If you use basmati rice, add 11/4 cups of water.
10. Add mint leaves.
11. Pour lemon juice
12. Mix well & bring it to boil.
13. Add 1/2 tsp of ghee on the top & close the cooker with a lid and wait for 2 whistles and then simmer it for 5 minutes. For basmati rice, wait for 2 whistles and then switch the flame off. Let the steam escapes by itself. Gently fluff it by using a fork.
14. The simple & easy peas pulao is ready now. Serve along with raita, any veg or non-veg gravy.
Step by step preparation for Peas Pulao Recipe – print here