Paruppu Kuzhambu Recipe – Dal Curry Recipe with detailed instructions & step by step photos. This is a simple and easy south Indian/tamilnadu style paruppu kuzhambu / dal curry recipe in a pressure cooker.
This paruppu kuzhambu is my mom’s recipe.I like this kuzhambu very much. Toor dal has been used to make this simple paruppu curry. You can also use moong dal instead of toor dal.
Paruppu kuzhambu needs only a few ingredients and finish in sometimes. This recipe is very useful for working woman, bachelors, and newlyweds as it is very easy to prepare in the hurry burry morning.
Let’s learn how to make this simple paruppu kuzhambu / dal curry recipe. Hope you like this recipe and give me your feedback.
Paruppu Kuzhambu Recipe | Dal Curry Recipe
Ingredients (1 Cup = 240 ml , 1 tbsp = 15 ml )
Toor Dal / Split Pigeon Peas / Thuvaram Paruppu – 1/4 Cup
Small Onions / Shallots – 5 to 7 ( sliced into halves )
Tomato – 1 chopped
Garlic – 3 pods
Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Cumin / Jeera / Seeragam – 1 tsp
Green Chilli / Milagai – 3 slit into 2
Coconut Oil – 1 tsp
Homemade Asafoetida / Hing / Perunkayam – 1/8 tsp
Grated Coconut – 2 tbsp
Tamarind – Small Gooseberry Size
Water – 3/4 Cup + 2 Cup
Coriander Leaves / Cilantro – For garnishing
Sea Salt / Crystal Salt – to taste
Coconut Oil – 2 to 3 tbsp
Mustard Seeds / Kadugu – 1 tsp
Urad Dal / Ulunthu – 1 tsp
Asafoetida Powder / Hing- 1/8 tsp
Fenugreek / Vendhayam – little
Small Onions / Shallots – 2 to 3 chopped finely
Dry Red Chilli / Vaththal – 4
Curry Leaves – 1 or 2 springs
How to make Paruppu Kuzhambu Recipe / Dal Curry Recipe with stepwise pictures
1. Take small gooseberry size tamarind in a bowl and soak it in the water for 10 to 15 minutes. Using a sieve, filter the tamarind water to remove impurities and sand from it. Add more water to get all juices from tamarind. Totally we need 2 cups of tamarind water.
2. Wash and soak toor dal in the water for 15 minutes. Drain the water completely and take soaked toor dal in a pressure cooker.
3. Add small onions, chopped tomatoes, green chili, garlic, turmeric, asafoetida, cumin seeds, 1 tsp of coconut oil along with 3/4 cup of water. Mix well and close it with the lid.
4. Wait for 2 to 3 whistle in a medium flame. Switch off the stove. Let the steam escape by itself. Once it released completely open the lid.
5. Using the back of the ladle or churn or ‘maththu’ , mash the dal gently.
6. Pour 2 cups of tamarind extracted water into the toor dal mixture.
7. Add required salt and mix well.
8. Now, again switch on the stove and allow it to boil for 5 to 7 minutes.
9. Add grated coconut and let it boil for 1 more minute.
10. Meanwhile, heat coconut oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, when it splutter add urad dal, fenugreek, and asafoetida. Roast them until light golden color. Add dry red chili fry for few seconds only (otherwise will get burnt soon) . Then add chopped small onions and fry until good golden color. Lastly, add curry leaves and fry until it turns crispy.
11. Pour the above seasoning into the dal mixture.
12. Add coriander leaves and mix well. Do not miss to add coriander leaves as it will give extra flavor to your curry.
Simple paruppu kuzhambu is ready now. Serve with steamed rice and any kootu/poriyal as a side dish. I serve this dal curry with potato fry.
1. Use small onions makes paruppu kuzhambu tastier.
Paruppu Kuzhambu Recipe | Dal Curry Recipe | Parippu Curry Recipe