Mutton curry or mutton kuzhambu recipe using coconut milk with step by step preparations & photos. The south Indian style delicious & mouthwatering goat or lamb curry made with spices & coconut milk in a pressure cooker. The coconut milk enhances the flavor of mutton curry & makes the mutton curry more yummy & tasty.
Let’s have a look at how to prepare the delicious mutton curry recipe with coconut milk in a pressure cooker. Hope you like this recipe, give a try & please share your comments below.
Mutton Curry Recipe | Mutton Kuzhambu with Coconut Milk | Goat Curry
Recipe Type: Non-Veg Recipes / Mutton Recipes
Cuisine: South Indian / Tamil Nadu
Mutton Curry Ingredients ( 1 Cup = 240 ml, 1 tbsp = 15 ml)
Mutton / Goat – 1/2 kg
Coconut Milk / Thengai Paal – 1 1/2 Cup
Sesame Oil / Gingelly Oil / Nallennai – 1/4 Cup
Onion / Vengayam – 1 finely chopped
Tomatoes / Thakkali – 2 medium size
Ginger Garlic Paste / Inji Poondu Paste – 2 tbsp
Curry Leaves / Karivepilai – 2 to 3 springs
Coriander Leaves / Koththamalli Ilai – for garnishing
Sea Salt / Non-Iodized Salt / Kal Uppu – as needed
Bay Leaf / Biryani Leaf / Birinji Ilai – 1
Cinnamon / Pattai – 1 long piece
Whole Pepper / Milagu – 1/2 to 1 tsp
Fennel Seeds / Saunf / Sombu or Perunjeeragam – 1 tsp
Cloves / Kirambu – 4
Star Anise / Natchathira Sombu – 1
Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi – 1/2 tsp
Red Chili Powder / Vaththal Podi – 2 tsp or to taste
Kashmiri Chili Powder / kashmiri Vaththal Podi – 2 tsp
Coriander Powder / Malli Podi – 2 tsp
Fennel Powder / Sombu Podi – 2 tsp
Cumin Powder / Seeraga Podi – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
How to make Mutton Curry with coconut milk in a cooker with step by step pictures
1. Clean & wash mutton well in water with the little amount of turmeric & keep aside.
2. Heat 1/4 cup of sesame oil in a pressure cooker. Add bay leaf followed by the ingredients mentioned under the spices table are pepper, cinnamon, fennel, cloves, star anise & saute for sometimes.
3. Add curry leaves & saute until it splutters.
4. Now, add chopped onions along with little salt to speed up the cooking process. Saute until the onions become good golden color.(If you have small onions use that. It makes the mutton curry tasty & healthy)
5. Add ginger garlic paste and cook until the raw smell goes off.
6. Then, add chopped tomatoes and cook for 2 to 3 minutes
7. Add all masala powders mentioned in the “masala powder” table are turmeric, red chili powder, kashmiri chili powder, cumin powder, fennel powder, coriander powder, garam masala and mix well.
8. Cook until the oil leaves the sides of the cooker and also the raw smell of the masala powders should go off. This will makes the curry yummier.
9. This is the time to add coconut milk. 11/2 cup of coconut milk along with 1/2 cup of water.
10. Add required salt ( do remember we already added little salt while sauteing onion. so add it accordingly)
11. Let it allow to boil. When it becomes boiling close the pressure cooker lid and allow for 7 to 8 whistles. Then switch off the stove & wait until the steam subsides by itself.
12. Open the lid and garnish with coriander leaves.
Step by step printable recipe for mutton curry using coconut milk in a pressure cooker