Easy mutton biryani recipe with step by step preparations & photos. The delicious & yummy mutton biryani recipe since it doesn’t need any roasting or grinding process. You can make this easy mutton biryani in pressure cooker within an hour. I have used seeraga samba rice to make this biryani. You can also use basmati rice if you want. Do try this in your home & please share your comments below. Let’s learn how to make this tasty mutton biryani recipe in the pressure cooker.
Similar biryani recipes,
Mutton Biryani Recipe in Pressure cooker
Ingredients (1 Cup = 240ml, 1 tbsp = 15ml)
Mutton – 1/2 kg
Seeraga Samba Rice or Basmati Rice – 11/2 Cups / 330 gms
Sesame Oil / Nallennai – 3 tbsp / 45ml
Ghee / Clarified Butter / Nei – 2 tbsp / 30ml
Curry Leaves / Karivepilai – 2 springs
Small Onions / Chinna Vengayam – 1 Cup / 150 gms (thinly sliced)
Green Chili / Pachchai Milagai – 3
Tomato / Thakkali – 1 chopped ( medium size)
Ginger Garlic Paste / Inji Poondu Paste – 2 tbsp
Water – 21/2 Cups + 1/2 Cup
Mint Leaves / Puthina Ilai – a handful
Coriander Leaves / Koththamalli Illai – a handful
Sea Salt – as required
Bay Leaf / Biryani Ilai – 2
Cumin Seeds / Seeragam – 1/4 tsp
Fennel Seeds / Saunf / Sombu – 1 tsp
Cinnamon / Pattai – 1 long piece
Cardamom / Elakkai – 3
Cloves / Kirambu – 6
Mace / Jathipathri – 1
Black Stone Flower / Kalpaasi – 1
Star Anise / Natchathira Sombu – 1
Red Chili Powder / Milagai Podi – 11/2 tsp (adjust)
Coriander Powder / Malli Podi – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi – 1/4 tsp
Kashmiri Chili Powder – 1 tsp
Biryani Masala Powder / Biryani Podi – 11/2 tsp to 2 tsp
Mutton Biryani Video Recipe
How to make mutton biryani recipe in pressure cooker with step by step photos
1. Wash & soak seeraga samba rice or basmati rice with 3 cups of water for 30 minutes.
2. Clean & wash mutton pieces along with little turmeric powder & set aside.
3. Heat a pressure cooker with ghee & oil.
4. When it is hot, add bay leaf.
5. Add all the spices mentioned under the “spices” table & saute well.
6. Then add curry leaves and splutter it.
7. Add thinly sliced small onions & saute it is soft along with little salt to speed up the onion cooking time.
8. Next, add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell goes off.
9. Now, add chopped tomato and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
10. When the tomato pieces turn mushy, add all the masala powders except biryani masala powder mentioned in the “masala powders” table.
11. Saute until the oil leaves the sides of the pan
12. Add cleaned mutton pieces and cook for 5 minutes on medium flame.
13. Add required sea salt for mutton along with 1/2 cup of water.
14. When it is boiling, close the cooker and cook for 6 to 8 whistles or until the meat is soft and tender and switch the flame off.
15. When the pressure is released completely, open the cooker. If it is having more water, heat it for a while until the water is reduced or add the water accordingly for the rice.
16. Add 21/2 cups of rice soaked water + required salt and bring to boil the water.
17. Add 11/2 or 2 tsp of biryani masala powder and mix well.
18. Then add soaked rice and mix gently.
19. Garnish with a handful of coriander leaves & mint leaves and gently stir it.
20. Close the cooker & cook for 1 whistle. When the pressure is released completely, open the cooker.
21. Fluff it gently using a ladle or a fork.
22. The delicious mutton biryani is ready now. Serve along with onion raita, boiled egg, and any non-veg curry or gravies. Enjoy!!..
How to make easy mutton biryani recipe in pressure cooker – print here