Mushroom Biryani Recipe with step by step preparation & photos – In Tamil, mushroom is known as ‘Kaalaan (Kalan)’. Mushrooms are the rich source of proteins,vitamins,irons and other healthy nutrients too.
This mushroom biryani recipe is an easy one which is prepared with homemade coconutmilk in a pressure cooker. Coconut milk is the key ingredient of making the biryani more flavorful & yummy.This is a one pot mushroom biryani since there is no need of any grinding process.This would be the best mushroom biryani for mushroom lovers ever.
There are so many varieties of mushrooms available in the market but button mushroom would go well for this mushroom biryani.I have used basmati rice here.You can also use seeraga samba rice instead of basmati rice for making this yummy biryani.
Let us learn how to make yummy mushroom biryani or kalan biryani recipe in a pressure cooker using coconut milk.Hope you will like this recipe and let me know how it turned out for you.
Check out more biryani recipes too
Mushroom Biryani Recipe in Pressure Cooker using Coconut Milk
Ingredients ( 1 Cup = 240 ml, 1 tbsp = 15 ml )
Basmati Rice or Seeraga Samba Rice – 3/4 Cup
Button Mushroom / Kaalaan – 10 to 12
Coconut Milk / Thengai Paal – 11/2 Cup
Small Onions / Shallots – 1/2 Cup sliced thinly
Tomato – 1 Chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
Thick Curd / Yogurt – 2 tbsp (Optional)
Lemon Juice – 2 to 3 tsp
Coconut Oil – 1 tbsp
Ghee / Clarified Butter – 1 tbsp
Mint Leaves & Coriander Leaves – 1 handful chopped
Bay Leaf – 1
Fennel Seed / Sombu or Perunjeeragam – 1 tsp
Cloves / Kirambu – 4
Cinnamon / Pattai – 1 piece
Mace / Javitri / Jathibathri – 1
Star Anise / Natchathira Sombu – 1
Cardamom / Elachi / Elakkai – 1
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Red Chili Powder – 3/4 tsp to 1 tsp ( adjust as per your spicy level)
Coriander Powder / Koththamalli Powder – 1 tsp
Cumin Powder / Seeraga Podi – 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
How to make Mushroom Biryani Recipe in a pressure cooker
1. Wash and soak basmati rice in water for 30 minutes. If you use seeraga samba rice, soak in water for 45 minutes.
2. Take button mushrooms in a bowl, wash in water and wipe it off using a paper towel.Remove the outer skin from the mushroom and cut lengthwise like the below picture.
3. Heat oil & ghee in a pressure cooker together. Add bay leaf,fennel seeds, star anise, mace, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves into the oil and saute for few seconds. Add sliced small onions and saute it until turns to translucent or light golden color.
4. Add ginger garlic paste and saute it until the raw smell goes off.
5. Now add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add turmeric,red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and garam masala powder and stir it until the oil separates.
7. Once the oil separates,add washed and cut mushrooms. You can add thick curd at this stage if you use and mix well.Then pour 11/2 cups (Ratio of Rice : Coconut Milk = 1 : 2) of coconut milk.
8. Add required salt and stir it once. Allow the coconut milk to boil for sometimes.
9. After boiling, drain the water completely from the rice and add into it along with a handful of mint and coriander leaves.
10.Squeeze the lemon juice (I forgot to take the photo),stir it and close the cooker lid and wait for 1 whistle. After 1 whistle simmer it for 5 minutes and then switch off the stove.Let the steam escapes by itself. Don’t disturb it for 5 more minutes.Then open the lid and gently stir the rice using a fork.Do not over mix the rice can be broken up.
11.Yummy & flavorful mushroom biryani is ready now.Serve hot along with any gravy and onion raita.
How to prepare one pot Mushroom Biryani Recipe in a pressure cooker