Oven roasted tandoori chicken recipe with step by step preparations & photos. Tandoori chicken or grill chicken is a famous Punjab dish which is normally available as a chicken starter in most of the restaurants nowadays.
The mouth watering tandoori chicken is also called as tandoori murgh, murgh meaning chicken, the chicken is marinated with spices and roasted in a hot clay oven called a tandoor.
The tandoori chicken can be easily done at home too. This is so simple & spicy tandoori chicken made with spices which are easily available from our Indian kitchen with no artificial colors added.
This is an easy tandoori chicken in an oven, basted with butter & sesame oil with fresh chicken legs. Normally, the chicken will generate heat more it may affect our body sometimes. If we add sesame oil/gingelly oil while we cook chicken, it helps to reduce heat. You can also use chicken drumsticks to make this tandoori chicken. If you have tandoori masala, add as mentioned on the readymade masala packet.
Let’s have a look at how to prepare restaurant style tandoori chicken in an oven at home. Hope you like this recipe and kindly give me your comments below.
Tandoori Chicken Recipe | Tandoori Murgh Recipe
Ingredients ( 1 tbsp = 15 ml )
Chicken Legs or chicken drumstick – 1/2 kg
Red Chili Powder / Vaththal Podi – 2 tsp or to taste
Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder / Malli Podi – 2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
Kashmiri Chili Powder – 1 tbsp ( for good red color)
Kasuri Methi Leaves / Dried Fenugreek Leaves – 1 1/2 tsp
Ginger Garlic Paste / Inji Poondu Paste – 2 tsp
Thick Curd / Yogurt / Thayir – 2 tbsp
Sesame Oil / Gingelly Oil / Nalennai – 2 tbsp
Sea Salt / Crystal Salt – to taste
Butter / Vennai – 1/4 Cup (melted)
Sesame Oil / Gingelly Oil / Ellu Ennai / Nalennai – 1 tbsp
How to make Tandoori Chicken recipe with step by step images
1. Clean & wash the chicken legs thoroughly in water along with a little turmeric powder. Drain off the water completely. Make some deep incisions on each leg using a knife to get the chicken is marinated well inside. You can also use drumstick chicken.
2. Add all the ingredients mentioned under the “for marination” table are chili powder, kashmiri chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt, kasuri methi, thick curd, ginger garlic paste and sesame oil.
3. Mix well and make sure the spices well coated with the chicken. Cover and let it marinate for at least 1 hour or overnight in a refrigerator.
4. If you kept in the refrigerator, take off the marinated chicken from the fridge before 1-hour grill the chicken.
5. Take 1/4 cup of melted butter in a bowl.
6. Add 1 tbsp of sesame oil which helps to reduce heat to our body. Mix well and set ready.
7. Pre-heat the oven to 450°F/ 230°C for 10 minutes or your oven required preheating temperature.
8. Arrange the marinated chicken legs on the prepared baking tray with foil and greased with sesame oil or butter. Place the tray into the oven and bake.
9. After 15 minutes of baking, pull the tray from the oven and baste the chicken with butter & oil mix and bring it back to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes. The basting which helps to prevent the chicken is getting dried off.
After 5 minutes, pull the tray out again, flip the chicken legs to the other side and baste it with butter & oil mix. Bring back to the oven and again bake it for another 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, bring back the tray and baste it with remaining butter oil mix and set the broil mode. Place the tray on top rack & broil it for another 5 minutes. Switch off the oven.
10. The delicious and mouth watering tandoori chicken is ready to serve now. Serve along with lemon wedges, onion slices and with any of your favorite dishes. My kids love to eat chicken with ketchup.
Step by step methods of making tandoori chicken in an oven – print here