Lemon Pickle Recipe with step by step photos – This is a south Indian style lemon pickle side dish recipe. In Tamil, we would call as ‘Elumichai Oorugai’. This pickle would be the superb combination of curd rice, pazhaiya satham (leftover rice soaked in water in the previous night and have it in the morning), sambar rice and even for stuffed paratha/chappathi.
For lemon pickle recipe, use ripe and juicy lemons. Cut the lemons and put in the jar along with sea salt and soak for 10 days inside the house where you get enough sunlight. Every day, shake the bottle twice very well. The soaking process will make lemon pickle tastier.
Let’s learn how to make lemon pickle recipe. Hope you like this recipe and please give me your comments below how it turns out for you.
Lemon Pickle Recipe | Elumichai Oorugai Recipe
Ingredients ( 1 Cup = 240 ml, 1 tbsp = 15 ml )
Ripe Lemons / Elumichai – (3 or 4) big sized or 2 Cups
Sea Salt / Kal Uppu – 1 tbsp
To Fry & Grind
Red Chili – 8 to 10
Kashmiri Red Chili – 5
Fenugreek Seed / Vendhayam – 3/4 tsp
Sesame or Gingelly Oil / Nallennai – 6 tbsp + 1/2 tsp
Mustard Seed / Kadugu – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Homemade Asafoetida Powder / Hing / Perunkayam – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 or 2 springs
How to make Lemon Pickle with Step by Step Photos
1. Take and wash your ripe and juicy lemons.
2.Deseeded & cut all lemons to medium size pieces.
3. Take a clean and dry bottle, put all lemon pieces into that and add 1 tbsp of salt. Close it with a lid.
4. Shake well twice a day for 10 days or until the mixtures gets mushy.I kept it for 10 days. Below is the picture of after 10 days. See how beautifully it got soaked and mixed together.
1. On the 11th day, I made the lemon pickle.
Heat a heavy bottom pan. Pour 1/2 a tsp of sesame oil.In a low flame, roast kashmiri red chili, red chili, and fenugreek one by one nicely and transfer to a plate. Let it cool for sometimes.Make sure it should not get burnt.
2.Once cooled, add those ingredients into a mixer jar or blender and grind it to a smooth powder.
Lemon Pickle Preparation
1. In the same pan, add 6 tbsp of gingelly/sesame oil and heat over the medium flame. Then add mustard seeds and let it splutters.
2. Once the mustard seeds spluttered, switch the flame to low and add curry leaves and fry for few seconds.
3. Add ground spices along with asafoetida and turmeric and stir it until the raw smell goes off. The spices will get burnt soon so do it on very low flame.
4. Add soaked lemon pieces and mix well. (In this step, if you want the gravy consistency, like hotel pickle, add 1/2 cup of water and bring to boil. Then add soaked lemon pieces along with lemon juices)
5. Let them cook until the oil leaves the sides of the pan. Switch off the flame.
6. The colorful & yummy Lemon Pickle is ready now. Store it in a glass bottle.
Serve this lemon pickle along with curd rice, sambar rice, pazhaya satham and even for parathas or chappathi’s.
1. Store lemon pickle in a glass bottle would make the pickle always fresh.
2. Use a dry spoon when needed.
Lemon Pickle Recipe | Pickle Recipes