Kuzhi Paniyaram Recipe with step by step photos. Kuzhi paniyaram is a quick and easy popular south Indian breakfast/snacks dish. This kuzhi paniyaram is a spicy version using leftover idli/dosa batter.It would go well with coconut chutney.
Kara Kuzhi paniyaram is a soft and tasty paniyaram can make in sometimes.This savory paniyaram needs only the handful of ingredients by that we can make this yummy kara paniyaram.
This paniyaram is a very good snack for both adults and kids. We can even say it as a pan-fried cakes using leftover or fresh idli/dosa batter.There are different names for this as masala paniyaram, gundu pongala,and paddu. There is a special pan for making this paniyaram called as “kuzhi paniyaram pan”.
Let’s make this kara kuzhi paniyaram using leftover idli/dosa batter. Hope you will like my recipe. Do try this in your home and post your comments how it turned out for you.
Kuzhi Paniyaram Recipe | Kara Paniyaram using Leftover Idli/Dosa Batter
Recipe Type – Breakfast & Snacks
Cuisine – Indian / South Indian / TamilNadu
Ingredients ( 1 Cup = 240 ml )
Idli/Dosa Batter or Millet Idli Dosa Batter – 1 1/2 Cups
Onions – 1/2 Cup (chopped finely)
Green Chilli / Milagai – 3 to 4 slited
Coriander Leaves / Cilantro – 2 to 3 tbsp (chopped)
Curry Leaves – 2 spring (chopped)
Sea Salt – little ( see notes)
Coconut Oil – for frying
Kuzhi Paniyaram Recipe (spicy version) with step by step photos
1. Take idli/dosa batter in a bowl.
2. In this batter, add finely chopped onions,curry leaves,coriander leaves and green chili. Mix well.
3. In a hot pan, add 1 tbsp coconut oil. Add mustard seeds wait for spluttering then add urad dal when it turns into golden color,add asafoetida & ginger garlic paste,stir well. Add curry leaves and fry for few seconds.Off the flame.
Pour the seasoned mixture into that batter.
4. Mix it well. Check salt if you need to add more.(Idli batter would be having salt already, add salt as per needs)
5. Take a kuzhi paniyaram pan and heat it over a medium flame. Fill 3/4 of coconut oil in each mold. Once hot,pour the batter into each mold. Let it cook until good golden color.
6. See how beautifully it got cooked. Flip it over the next side and let it cook.
7. After cooked both sides, transfer to the kitchen paper towel.
8. Kara Kuzhi Paniyaram is ready now. Enjoy with coconut chutney or your desired chutney.
1. In Idli/Dosa batter, there will be salt already so check and add salt accordingly.
2. You can also deep fry the paniyaram’s instead of making in kuzhi paniyaram pan.
How to make Kara Paniyaram using leftover Idli/Dosa batter