Kerala style kadala curry recipe with step by step photos & video. This is a simple & healthy kadala curry for puttu, chappathi, dosa & poori. I have used sprouted chana dal to make the curry healthier & tastier. You can see the step by step photos of how to make sprouted dal & millet here. Hope you like this recipe & please share your comments below how it turned out for you.
Puttu Kadala Curry Recipe – Kerala Style
Black Chana Dal / Chickpea / Konda Kadalai – 1/2 Cup
Coconut Oil / Thengai Ennai – 3 tbsp
Coconut / Thengai – 2 tbsp (chopped)
Small Onions / Chinna Vengayam – 3/4 Cup / 115 gms
Ginger Garlic Paste / Inji Poondu Paste – 1 tbsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
Red chili Powder / Milagai Podi – 1 tsp(adjust)
Coriander Powder / Malli Podi – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves / Karivepilai – for garnishing
Sea Salt / Kal Uppu – to taste
Puttu Kadala Curry Video Recipe
How to make puttu kadala curry recipe with step by step photos
1. Wash & soak chana dal/ kadalai in water for 8 hours.
2. After 8 hours, drain off the water completely and put in a cotton cloth. Tie the cloth & hang it in a convenient place until the sprout begins to form. It may take 1 or 2 days according to the weather condition.
3. Wash the sprouted dal once in the water, then add required water, salt and 2 tsp of coconut oil in a pressure cooker.
4. Pressure cook the dal for 13 to 15 whistles or until soft.
5. Heat a pan with coconut oil & add chopped coconut & saute until golden brown.
6. Add thinly sliced small onions & saute until the onions turn soft.
7. Then add ginger garlic paste, saute until the raw smell goes off.
8. Add garam masala powder, coriander powder & chili powder and saute well.
9. Now, add cooked dal along with water.
10. Pour more water & add salt if required.
11. Boil it for 5 minutes.
12. Then simmer it for 10 minutes or until it reaches your required consistency.
13. Garnish with curry leaves.
14. Yummy & healthy sprouted kadala curry is ready now. Enjoy!!!. Serve along with chappathi, puttu, idli/dosa, poori.
How to prepare kerala style puttu kadala curry recipe with step by step photos – print here