Idli Podi Recipe/Idli Dosa Podi/Idli Milagai Podi – This is a common side dish for south Indian breakfast/dinner idli or dosa podi in most of all houses. We can easily prepare this idli podi at home itself. Homemade powders are always better than store-bought ones.
This Idli podi recipe is my mom’s one. My mom will prepare Idli podi in bulk quantity and give this to me and my sisters. Nowadays, I prepare myself in less quantity and store it. My kids love to eat Idli podi for Idli or dosa with a mixing of sesame oil. It is very simple and easy one. We can prepare this within 20 minutes.It is very healthy too since we have added the healthy ingredients only.
Let’s learn how to prepare this easy homemade Idli Podi Recipe/ Idli Dosa podi. Do try this in your home and give me your comments and feedback.
Idli Podi Recipe / Idli Dosa Podi Recipe/ Idli Milagai Podi Recipe
My 1 Cup measurement is equal to 240 ml
1 Tblspn = 15 ml
Whole black Urad dal – 1 Cup
Sesame seeds – 1/3 Cup
Garlic – 1
Dry red chili – 20 to 25
Kashmiri chili – 10 ( for beautiful red color )
Curry leaves – a handful
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp ( whole or powdered)
Gingelly Oil/Sesame oil – 1 tbsp
Salt / Kal Uppu – 2 or 3 tsp
Idli Podi Recipe | Idli Dosa Podi Recipe | Idli Milagai podi Recipe – Step by step instructions
1. Wash whole black urad dal in water and drain all the water and dry it completely.
Peel the garlic skin and sliced thinly.Keep all the other ingredients set ready.
2. In a low flame, we are going to fry all the ingredients one by one.
Take a heavy bottom pan,heat 1 tsp of sesame oil, add the whole asafoetida and fry it.If you are using asafoetida powder, no need to fry.See my homemade asafoetida powder recipe. Add Kashmiri chili, fry until it turns crispy then add red chili and fry it for few seconds only .Make sure the red chilies should not get burn.
3. Add curry leaves , fry until its crispy.
4. Heat another 1 tsp of sesame oil, add chopped garlic and fry until it gets cooked and turns into golden color.
5. Add sesame seeds, saute it till to get a good aroma of that.
6. In medium flame, add remaining 1 tsp of gingelly oil and fry whole black urad dal until it turns to the crispy structure. It takes some more minutes than other ingredients.
7. Keep all the fried ingredients to a plate and let it cool for sometimes.
Now, take a mixie jar,add salt and add all the fried ingredients except garlic and blend it well like finely coarse powder consistency. Then add garlic and pulse it for sometimes. Mix it thoroughly.
8. Store Idli Podi in a glass bottle and close it with a lid tightly. Your healthy homemade Idli podi is ready now. Have it and enjoy.
1. This Idli podi is a spicy one. If you want, you can less the number of red chilies.
2. I used to use the whole asafoetida to make Idli podi. If you are using asafoetida powder, do not need to fry, just mix it after powdered everything.
3. Garlic will give some wet consistency while grinding so we should grind it after all the other ingredients are coarsely powdered.
4. Whenever you take Idli podi from the bottle, use a dry spoon and then close it tightly.
Homemade Idli Podi Recipe / Idli Milagai Podi Recipe – in a printable form