Homemade Sambar Powder Recipe with step by step photos. South Indian style homemade sambar podi gives a wonderful aromatic flavor to the sambar or any veg kuzhambu/curry ever.There is no added any artificial flavors or any preservatives to make this homemade sambar powder.
The small quantity of sambar powder that I have done.You can increase the measurements of the ingredients to make the bulk quantity and store it.Homemade powders are always better than the store-bought ones.Do try to give a try to make this sambar podi at home and save your money.
For making the small quantity of homemade sambar powder, fry all the ingredients one by one in a pan and grind using the grinding jar. For making the large quantity ,increase the measurements, sun-dry all the ingredients for a whole day or until all the ingredients dried evenly and then give them to a flour mill for grinding and store in a clean, dry airtight container.
Let’s learn how to make the homemade sambar powder or sambar podi at home. Hope you like this recipe and let me know how it turned out for you.
Check out my other homemade powders recipes too.
Homemade Sambar Powder Recipe | Sambar Podi Recipe
Ingredients ( 1 Cup = 240 ml , 1 tbsp = 15 ml )
Coriander Seeds / Koththamalli – 1 Cup
Red Chilli – 1 3/4 Cups (tightly packed) (about 30 to 35 nos)
Kashmiri Red Chilli – 1/2 Cup ( about 10 – 12 nos)
Cumin Seeds / Seeragam – 1 tbsp
Fennel Seeds / Sombu or Perunjeeragam – 2 tbsp
Urad Dal / Uluththam Paruppu – 1 tbsp
Channa Dal / Kadalai Paruppu – 1 tbsp
Toor Dal / Thuvaram Paruppu – 2 tbsp
Pepper / Milagu – 1 tsp
Fenugreek / Vendhayam – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi – 1 tsp
Asafoetida or Hing Powder / Perunkaaya Podi – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves / Karivepillai – little
How to make south Indian style homemade sambar powder recipe with step by step photos
1. Take a wide heavy bottom pan and heat it over medium flame. Dry roast all the ingredients one by one except asafoetida and turmeric powder and transfer to a plate, allow them to cool completely.
2. In a grinding jar, add all the ingredients along with asafoetida, and turmeric powder. Grind it to a smooth powder.
3. Homemade sambar powder is ready now.Store in a clean, dry airtight container.Use a dry spoon every time you take.
1. If you are doing in a bulk quantity, increase the ingredients measure, sun dry all of them and give it to a flour mill for grinding and then store.
2. Dry roast the chili’s in a low flame else it will get burnt soon.
How to make homemade sambar podi recipe