Homemade Asafoetida Powder Recipe – Asafoetida or Hing in Hindi, is a pungent smell spice which adds in most of the Indian dishes we make such as sambar, rasam, dal curry and so on.We can buy the asafoetida as a big cube blocks from grocery store.
Asafoetida is one of the essential and necessity powder should have in our home kitchen. Most of us suffer from gas and indigestion problem when we take lentils and pulses. Asafoetida powder would be the best remedy to cure the gas problem and helps in quick digestion.
For babies,we should not give this powder internally when they suffer from gas and indigestion problem. We can make the asafoetida powder paste by mixing with little water and apply on the baby stomach.
Asafoetida, in Tamil we call it as “Perungayam“. This homemade asafoetida powder has no artificial flavors, artificial colors or any others.We can easily prepare this at home in less price only. Homemade Asafoetida powder has wonderful aroma than store-bought powdered one.
One day I just had seen the ingredients what are all added in the store-bought asafoetida powder. It has been mixed with maida and some more ingredients which are not good for our health. So, I decided to prepare it myself at home. After I made, I wondered how the beautiful yellow color of the homemade asafoetida powder has.You too wondering now after see this pleasant color !:). homemade powders are always better than store-bought ones.
Let’s learn how to make this natural homemade asafoetida powder recipe at home. Do try this and smell the wonderful aroma of asafoetida powder and give me your comments.
Homemade Asafoetida Powder Recipe / Homemade Hing Powder Recipe
Asafoetida / Hing / Perungayam – 1/4 Cup
Sea Salt / Crystal Salt / Kal Uppu – 1/4 tsp
How to make Homemade Asafoetida Powder Recipe – Stepwise Pictures
1. This is what I bought the asafoetida blocks from the grocery store.
2. I used my hammer to break asafoetida blocks into small pieces to make the sauteing process easily.
3. Heat a thick bottom pan, add asafoetida small pieces in the pan.
4. Saute for 5 minutes in medium flame or until the color of the asafoetida change to pale yellow color. Switch off the flame. Let it cool for sometimes.
5. Take a mixie jar or food processor, add asafoetida and 1/4 tsp of sea salt.
6. Grind it to the smooth powder.
7. Your wonderful aroma of the homemade asafoetida powder is ready now. Store it in an air-tight container.
1. Always make less quantity of asafoetida powder at home because that remains in good odor than doing in bulk amount.
How to make Homemade Asafoetida Powder Recipe