Milagu Rasam / Pepper Rasam recipe is one of the popular south Indian spicy rasam serve along with hot rice and any fried items. I would like to have it with chicken gravy too. Pepper rasam, how it prepare by using cumin, garlic and tamarind syrup. The pepper, cumin and garlic include its ability to aid in digestion.It is very good to have on during winter or rainy season and this milagu rasam would be a great remedy for severe cold and sore throat.
This Pepper rasam or Milagu rasam is very simple and easy to prepare. We can make it within 10 minutes. I like to drink the rasam as it is. My dad too used to drink this tasty milagu rasam.
Lets learn how to make this spicy and tangy pepper rasam or milagu rasam recipe. Do try this in your home and give me your beautiful comments.
Pepper Rasam Recipe | Milagu Rasam Recipe
Tamarind – Gooseberry size
Ripe Tomato – 1
Water – 2 1/2 Cups
Sea Salt / Kal Uppu – to taste
Coriander Leaves / Cilantro Leaves – 3 tblspn (chopped)
Spices for making pepper rasam
Black Pepper / Milagu – 2 tsp
Cumin Seeds / Jeera / Seeragam – 2 tsp
Garlic / Poondu – 5 pods (no need to peel the husk)
Curry Leaves – little
Sesame Oil / Gingelly Oil / Nallennai – 2 tsp
Ghee – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds / Kadugu – 1/4 tsp
Urad Dal / Uluththam Paruppu – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds / Vendhayam – 1/4 tsp
Homemade Asafoetida / hing / Perungayam – 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 spring
Stem of Coriander Leaves – 1 tblspn
Easy Milagu Rasam Recipe | Pepper Rasam Recipe – Step by Step Method
1. Soak gooseberry size tamarind in 1/2 cup of water for 15 to 20 minutes. Sieve it using filter to remove impurities and sand from it. Add more water to extract all juices from tamarind. We need 2 1/2 cups of tamarind water.
2. Take a ripe tomato and mash it by hand in the tamarind extract water.
3. Mix well.
4. Add 2 tsp of pepper, 2 tsp of cumin, 5 cloves of garlic with skin and little curry leaves in a mixie jar and crush it with few pulses. Do not grind it like a paste. It is better to crush in mortar and pestle if you have one.
5. Heat a pan with 2 tsp of sesame oil and 1 tsp of ghee. Add mustard when it splutters, add urad dal, fenugreek seed, asafoetida, curry leaves and stem of the coriander leaves.Saute for few seconds.
6. Add crushed cumin pepper to it and saute it until the raw smell goes off.
7. Pour the tamarind tomato water into this. Mix well
8. Once froth starts forming on the top, switch off the flame. Do not let it boil. Remove from the stove.
9. Transfer pepper rasam to another pan or kadai. Do not keep the rasam in the same pan.
10. Add 3 tblspn of chopped coriander leaves.
11. Add required Sea Salt/Kal uppu.
12. Mix well and cover with a lid. Do not open until serve.
13. Spicy,tangy and yummy pepper rasam is ready now. Serve hot.
1. If you are in hurry add hot water to soak tamarind for 5 minutes.
2. Do not boil the rasam as it will lose the taste and flavor of the pepper rasam.
3. If your tomato is not ripen ,place tomato in a bowl and pour some hot water over it and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes, then use it so.
How to make easy Pepper Rasam Recipe / Milagu rasam recipe – in a printable form