Chettinad pepper chicken gravy recipe with step by step photos & video. Chettinad is a famous south Indian cuisine which loads freshly roasted spices and ground masalas. This is a yummy & delicious chettinad pepper chicken gravy which is made with roasted pepper, cumin seeds, fennel seeds & coconut. It gives the wonderful aromatic flavor to the chicken gravy.
Let’s learn how to make chettinad pepper chicken gravy recipe at home. Hope you like this recipe & please share your comments below.
chettinad pepper chicken gravy recipe
Sesame Oil / Nallennai – 3 tbsp
Bay Leaf / Biryani Ilai – 1
Cinnamon / Pattai – 1
Cloves / Kirambu – 5
Fennel Seeds / Sombu – 1 tsp
Small Onions / Chinna Vengayam – 17 to 20 / 200 gms
Green Chili / Pachchai Milagai – 1 or 2
Curry Leaves / Karivepilai – 2 springs
Ginger Garlic Paste / Inji Poondu Paste – 2 tbsp
Tomato / Thakkali – 1 / 80 gms
Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
Sea Salt / Kal Uppu – as required
Sesame Oil / Nallennai – 2 tsp
Pepper / Milagu – 2 tbsp
Cumin Seeds / Seeragam – 1 tsp
Fennel Seeds / Sombu or Perunjeeragam – 1 tsp
Fresh Grated Coconut – 1/3 Cup / 40 gms
Chicken – 1/2 kg
Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi – 1/2 tsp
Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
chettinad pepper chicken gravy video recipe
How to prepare chettinad pepper chicken gravy recipe with step by step photos
1. Clean & wash chicken with little turmeric powder. Marinate the chicken with turmeric powder & lemon juice for 30 minutes.
2. Heat a pan with sesame oil. Add pepper, cumin seeds & fennel seeds.
3. Saute well.
4. Add grated coconut and saute until the nice aroma comes from the coconut.
5. Cool down and transfer to a mixer jar. Grind to a smooth paste along with required water.
6. Heat a pan with sesame oil. Add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves & fennel seeds. Saute for sometimes.
7. Add thinly sliced small onions, green chili & curry leaves along with little salt. Saute until the onions are soft.
8. Now, add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell goes off.
9. Add chopped tomatoes and cook until soft.
10. Add ground masala paste and saute until the oil leaves the sides of the pan.
10. Now, add marinated chicken and cook for 5 minutes.
11. Pour required water.
12. Add garam masala powder & required salt.
13. Mix well & bring to boil. When it is boiling, close the cooker with a lid & cook for 3 whistles. Switch the flame off & let the pressure escapes by itself.
14. Garnish with curry leaves & mix gently.
15. Yummy chettinad pepper chicken gravy is ready now. Enjoy. Serve along with rice, chappathi/roti/paratha and with any biryani’s.
How to make chettinad pepper chicken gravy recipe – print here