Barnyard millet sweet pongal / kuthiraivali sakkarai pongal / jhongora pongal with step by step preparations & photos. I already shared sarkarai pongal made with pacharisi & jaggery. This is the first time I tried this mouthwatering barnyard millet sweet pongal with moong dal, and jaggery. Basically, I am a sweet lover so I love this sweet pongal very much and my kids too.
Millets are the natural source of proteins, iron as well as fibers. They are not acid forming foods hence it helps to digest the food easily. Furthermore, Millet’s are excellent for strengthening the nervous system. So, whenever you can, try to include atleast any one of the millets in your food.
Let’s have a look at how to prepare barnyard millet sweet pongal / kuthiraivali chakkara pongal at home. Hope you like this millet sweet pongal and please share your thoughts below in the comment section.
Barnyard Millet Sweet Pongal Recipe | Kuthiraivali Sakkarai Pongal Recipe
Author : Nilashini
Recipe Type : Desserts & Sweets
Cuisine : South Indian / Tamil Nadu
Barnyard Millet / Kuthiraivali – 1/2 Cup
Moong Dal / Paasiparuppu – 3 tbsp
Powdered Jaggery / Vellam – 3/4 Cup (adjust to your taste)
Fresh Grated Coconut / thengai poo – 1/4 Cup
Ginger / Inji – 1 tsp ( chopped)
Ghee / Clarified Butter / Nei – 4 tbsp + 1 tsp
Cashews / Munthiri Paruppu – 15
Raisins / Thiratchai – 1 tbsp
Cardamom / Elachi / Elakkai – 3 (slightly crushed)
How to make barnyard millet sweet pongal / kuthiraivali chakkara pongal with step by step pictures
1. Take barnyard millet/ kuthiraivali and moong dal in a bowl.
2. Wash them in water for 2 to 3 times and soak for 30 minutes. Drain the water completely.
3. Take a pressure cooker and heat 1 tsp of ghee and add kuthiraivali and moong dal. Saute it for few minutes and then add 3 cups of water, stir it well. Pressure cook it for 3 whistles on a medium flame and switch off the stove. When the pressure subsides, open the lid and stir it.
4. While you wait for the pressure subsides from the cooker, do the jaggery melting process.
Take powdered jaggery in a pan
5. Pour 1/2 cup of water in the pan.
6. Heat it & allow the jaggery to be melted completely.
7. After it is melted, place a filter in the cooker and pour the jaggery syrup through that to remove impurities from the jaggery.
8. Add chopped ginger for easy digestion.
9. Add fresh grated coconut.
10. mix it well and heat it for 5 minutes on a medium flame then switch off the stove.
11. Heat ghee in a pan then adds cashews and roast until it turns good golden color.
12. Then add cardamom
13. Now add raisins and wait until it is puffed up.
14. Add cashew,raisins, ghee mixture into the cooker.
15. Mix it well.
15. Yummy & delicious barnyard millet sakkarai pongal or kuthiraivali sweet pongal is ready to be served now. Enjoy!! Happy Pongal.
Step by step preparations & images of barnyard millet sweet pongal – print here